Monday, July 12, 2010

Cherry Meringue Puffs

I've been watching my weight for the past few weeks (Aside from July 4th, a tragic day when I fell off the diet wagon so hard I broke my digestive track) and I've been trying to come up with low calorie, low fat snacks to replace all of the fatty baked goods I'm addicted to.

My favorite are the easiest to make and SO delicious, CHERRY MERINGUE PUFFS. These cookies are airy, sweet and crips and melt in your mouth like a roasted marshmallow! They are great for satisfying my sweet tooth without feeling like I've sabatoged my diet. If you're not a cherry fan, you can try mint, vanilla, almond, or lemon extract!



Photobucket

(Before getting popped in the oven)



Start by preheating your oven to 200 degrees, and cutting a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the entire bottom of the cookie sheet you're using.

You'll need:
4 large egg whites at room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. cherry extract

Cookie sheet
Parchment paper

Using an electric mixer (with a wisk attatchment) beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy Add the cream of tartar and extract and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until the meringue holds stiff peaks. (The meringue is done when it holds stiff peaks and when you rub a little between your thumb and index finger it does not feel gritty. If it feels gritty the sugar has not fully dissolved so keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers.)

Transfer the meringue mixture to a large ziplock bag (or large pastry bag) and cut medium size whole in the bottom corner of the bag. Pipe cookies onto the cookie sheet, I make mine about an inch or so in size. The meringue's will NOT expand, so you can place them pretty close but not touching.

Bake for appx. 60-70 minutes The meringues are done when they release easily from the parchment paper. When the meringues are baked, turn off the oven, open the oven door slightly, and leave the meringues in the turned off oven for about another half hour.

ENJOY!



Photobucket







No comments: