Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jack of all trades...

And master of none.

Never is this more true than when it comes to photography. I actually love photography, more specifically I love photographing my children. The problem lies with my camera. I remember the day I begged my husband to give in and buy me the "fancy" camera I'd been eyeing for months. My old trusty Kodak camera had died, and I decided I was a big girl and needed a fancy big girl camera. No, I didn't know what half the buttons and knobs did exactly, but I rationalized that if "_______" (Enter any friends name here) could manage to do it, by George, so could I. HA!

So, we have a passionate love/hate relationship my Canon and I, and on most days it's very safe to say my camera is usually winning. It does the job I purchased it to do: Takes pictures. It clicks when I ask it to, and the flash goes off when it deems it necessary, so I should really have no argument with the thing. HOWEVER; It forgets that what I purchased it to do and what I want it to do are so very different. My WANT list is so much more complex! For instance, I would like a little yellow flag to pop out that reads "LESLIE, your child is being blinded by the sun, turn them around" when I accidentally have Dominick squinting in the direction of my voice. I would like it to have a million candle watt flash that will ensure my success in any lighting. Or maybe it could borrow my GPS's lovely voice chip and tell me things like "In point 4 seconds, lower the camera a fraction of an inch so that Brooke's head is not cut off" and when I still manage to decapitate her will say something encouraging like "Re calculating, please lower the camera and try again". IS THAT REALLY TOO MUCH TO ASK??

So here I am. Sorting through pictures that look as though they were taken by a drunk, blind monkey. The process of processing melts my brain. It sucks the life from my soul and haunts my very existence.

I present Exhibit A:

IMG_0106

I rest my case. I should really just stick to disposable camera.

2 comments:

Allie Girl said...

You make giggle Leslie! I don't see anything wrong with your picture taking abilities. Dare I call you a ...true....photographer! Just telling it like it is sis. You can photograph me any day! And yes, I believe a camera should talk to you but not in a GPS voice...more like a Matthew McCounaghy or maybe even Antonio Banderrrrras. How cool would that be?

Matt said...

You're photos have been great from the start, and they just get better everyday!