Monday, April 19, 2010

Our Classroom....

Consider this my first real post dedicated to what we homeschooled today.

I've been very leary about posting anything related to how we homeschool simply for fear of judgement, ridicule, conflict or other forms of snarkiness. Homeschooling is a personal thing, and it's been my experience that people either love it or they hate it. And in most cases people hate it because "I knew a girl who was homeschooled and SHE hated it....". I'd no sooner want to have someone judge my homeschooling methods than I'd want to have someone critique my sex life.

But it occured to me today, that this is a HUGE part of the kids lives, and it deserves to be documented so that years down the road they'll remember what we did today.

SOOO, this is what a typical school day looks like in our house:


________________________________________________________________

This week we're learning about gardening and how things grow. Today, we read this book:
Photobucket

And then we pitted these avocado's and placed them in water to watch them grow. (Eventually)
Photobucket

Next we planted these seeds:
Corn for Diana and watermelons's for Dom.


Photobucket
After a much needed Lunch break, I got Dom started on his computer work.
For the "hard stuff" I rely heavily on a wonderful online curriculum.
It's animated and lively and Dominick loves it. I love it because it tracks everything he does, reports his progress and keeps him on the right track for his grade level.
Today he finished a math lesson on Perimeter & Area and started a Language Arts lesson on Plurals "s and es".
To finish the day off the kids learned about mosaics and then were able to make their own by cutting up scraps of paper and adhering them to pictures they'd chosen.

Photobucket
THE END.

4 comments:

DotteeO said...

So, has Diana officially started home schooling?

Allie Girl said...

Can I come be your student too? Wow! Your kids are incredibly lucky to have you as their teacher:)

Thanks for posting because I actually do wonder how you homeschool. Looks like hands on learning and more importantly... fun!

kaylasmom said...

What online curriculum are you using? And your kids look so happy "at school"! Great job, Mom!
Donna in NC

Leslie said...

Hi Donna,

I use Time4learning.com and love it as do the kids!