Monday, April 19, 2010

Yanni makes me cry.

Until today I thought there were only about 5 songs in my mental library that yeilded the power to reduce me to tears. I was reminded of #6 today. I was minding my own business and this certain song came on the easy listening station I had tuned in and before I knew it, I had a lump in my throat and teensy tiny tears welling up behind my eyes. I pushed them back and decided that instead of crying, I'd blog. Blogging cures everything right?

Picture it:

Jensen Beach, 1999, my "perfect boyfriend" has just broken up with me. I've been lying on my bed for hours sobbing my soul out, My Dad is in the kitchen playing with Brooke and my Mom is sitting on the end of my bed trying to console me.

ME: "Whhhhyyyyy..... wooooouuullddd.... heeeee.... dooooo..... thisss???"

Mom: "Oh honey, it's alright... are you, um, sure you didn't do something?"

Me: "MEEEE...EEEE??????????????????" (So high pitched dogs in the neighborhood were cowering"

Mom: "That's not what I meant, oh, I'm so sorry!! What can I do??"

Me: "NOTHING...Waaaaaahhhh...."

Mom: "You need to sleep for a little while"

Me: "Noooo... I... Don't...!!!!!!"

Mom: "I'll go get and get some nice relaxing music, I'll be right back!"

after a few minutes she comes back into the room, sets the CD player on my nightstand and plays this "uplifting ballad" to "soothe my broken heart" ...



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


I know Mom was trying to be helpful so I can't fault her (too much). What she thought was soothing music I thought was a fitting soundtrack for my emotional ruin. So, yeah, Yanni and I have history, OK? The long haired mustachioed man got me through that horrible night and I think I can say pretty safely I hadn't listened to him since. Here's to another 11 years of surpressed memories!










1 comment:

Allie Girl said...

Yanni makes me cry too but its because that's what we chose to walk down the aisle to get married to. It played through the whole reception as well. Ahhh, good times.

Joe and I saw him in concert at Park City. His music was definitely meant to played outside echoing off the mountain canyon walls! Thanks for taking me back...albeit through your sad memory.