Friday, April 30, 2010

I write, therefore I am...

“What is a diary as a rule?
A document useful to the person who keeps it. Dull to the contemporary who reads it and invaluable to the student, centuries afterwards, who treasures it.”
-Sir Walter Scott

As a teenager I was actually quite good about keeping a journal. I tried to make an entry at least every day and at worst at least once a week. I wrote it as though I was telling a good friend about my day. Too my credit, I rarely "toned it down" and wrote as things happened, not how I wished they'd turned out. It's good for record keeping, but it keeps me from handing them over to my 13 year old to read. One day she can have them, but for now, they're locked away safely.

I lost interest in journaling after I got married, and tried a few times to keep an electronic sort of diary on my computer, but I'd always get sidetracked and the time lapses between entries was embarrassing.

Monday I decided to start again. I went out and found a be
autiful leather bound book and cut myself a brown ribbon page marker. It's amazing. I forgot how therapeutic putting pen to paper can be. I feel like I'm doing something eternal by simply jotting down the goings on of my daily life. In theory my journal could last for a hundred years. One day students may be reading "The Diary of Leslie Fiore". Anne Frank gave us insight into the Holocaust, Why shouldn't my diary be forever revered for the insight into my laundry habits and choice of shampoo??

2 comments:

Cait Bait said...

bahahahaha! Shampoo choices? I love you! My high school journal is totally emo and filled with poems and songs I wrote when I played guitar. :)

Allie Girl said...

Leslie you ROCK! Don't forget to keep turning your blogs into books too! And btw...what shampoo do you use for your luxurious hair?